Friday Flowers – Speampunk Metal Flower

Hiya crafty friends,

Β I love making handmade flowers, I find it really therapeutic. So starting this month I will be sharing a flower I have made and how I made it every Friday…Flower Friday!

My first flower is one that I have never tried before but always wanted to have a go. So it was a bit of an experiment for me and I’m quite pleased how it turned out.

This is a great recycling project to do as it makes use of empty drink cans. Because of the material used to make this flower please be careful when preparing the can as it is VERY sharp.

To prepare the can the tools I used were a pokey tool and scissors. I first poked a few holes at the top of the can to enable me to cut around and remove the top. I then did the same to remove the base so I was left with a cylinder of aluminium.

I then carefully cut straight across with a large pair of scissors so that I now had a sheet of aluminium.

For the flower I used the Tim Holtz Tattered Floral die. I placed the metal on top of the die and run through my die cutting machine.

To add some texture I embossed the flowers using embossing folders

Here’s where I started my experimenting πŸ™‚

I first cover the flower with black acrylic paint and then gently rubbed with a tissue to remove some of the paint.

I added some metallic silver acrylic paint on the edge of the petals.

Whilst the paint was still wet I sponged some purple iridescent eyeshadow…

I also added some gorgeous black eyeshadow to the edge of the smaller flower.

I had some drawing pins that were the perfect size but not the right colour, so I first added some perfect medium and added some black embossing powder, which after heating gave a glossy finish.

I then added some more perfect medium and added some clear embossing powder. Working very quickly after I had melted the clear embossing powder and it was still sticky I sprinkled on some of the black eyeshadow and heated again so it mixed with the clear embossing. This gave a iridescent look. To finish I sponged some silver acrylic paint around the edge.

I then poked a hole in the centre of the flowers and placed the pin through. To secure in place, using a pair of jewellery pliers I bend the post around.

Then I simply shaped the petals.

20150901_110242And here’s the finished flower

20150901_111410 20150901_111525Hope you can join me again next Friday.

Happy crafting

fc32c-signiture

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Friday Flowers – Speampunk Metal Flower

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s